Re: GT6 rear brakes

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 rear brakes
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:21:13 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> >I always wonder why someone would want self adjusting brakes at the rear,
> >surely readjusting them every say 10k miles is not that much work, at the
> >same time you can check if theres any leaks, everything is fine etc. I
> >always found selfadjusting brakes a slight pain when they get older
> >(breaking components defying the purpose) plus its more work when you want
> >to pop off a drum. But then de gustibus non est disputandum eh?
> ***************************************
> Well, at this point I have four vehicles that require "adjusting" and the
> truck has four per axle.  Yes four per axle, two each wheel.  It was worse
> before I put front disks on because you had to adjust both axles.  That was
> eight adjustments on just one vehicle alone.  I'd like to lighten the load
> a little as I have better things to do than adjust brakes :-).  And the
> prior vehicles I had them on worked perfectly-besides, if they are working
> as designed, then braking is improved because the shoes are always at their
> optimum condition (until they wear out that is :-}).
>
> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net

I should add that the self-adjusters on my GT have been working
perfectly since I rebuilt the rears over a year ago.  And I just
had the drums off a week ago to check the condition of the rebuild;
getting them off was just the usual couple of taps with a mallet that
attended drums require.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6