Re: Aluminum Repair

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Repair
From: Randall Young <randallyoung.nospam@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 11:36:21 -0700
Tony :

I've tried the 'brazing rods', but never had any success.  I was trying
to build up a TR3 thermostat housing, and my propane torch simply would
not get it hot enough.  I gave up before trying my oxy-acetalyne torch.
To get a bond, the thing you are brazing must be heated to the melting
point of the brazing rod, at least in the immediate area.  Otherwise,
you get an extremely weak joint (aka cold joint) if any.

I would also be worried about strength in your case.  I have no idea
what alloy the trailing arms are, but I'll bet they aren't just soft
aluminum.

However, if you just need to repair threaded holes, and they aren't
drilled _too_ big, I would definitely recommend thread repair inserts.
The Helicoil type will work well if the hole is pretty close to the OD
of the bolt, or there's a solid type that will work in larger holes.
Nice thing about inserts, they are actually stronger than the original
threads.

Randall