Re: Aluminum Repair

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Repair
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:45:44 -0400
Message text written by "Michael D. Porter"
>Want a really good, simple fix for the specific problem? If the holes
can be drilled enough to install KeenSerts (a keyed steel insert similar
to a helicoil, but easier to install), then install the inserts with
green Loctite. It will take dynamite to remove them.
<

I suspected as much about heating the entire piece to allow that
aluminum "brazing" technique.  I will investigate KeenSerts.  I
can get helicoils to do the job.  Actually, I got a trailing arm
from an friend.  I had to helicoil one stud hole and it was easy to drill and
helicoil.  The problem was keeping the exactly perpendicular to
the face of the arm.  I got it nearly perfect.

I just thought there might be some other way to do this, so I don't
have to throw away the buggered trailing arm.  They don't make 'em
like that no more!!!!

-Tony