RE: Sputtering and a popping

To: <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: RE: Sputtering and a popping
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 07:47:45 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
>At anything above idle speed the engine will randomly sputter and
sometimes pop or I guess you could call it a cough or hesitation.  This
happens when the car is stopped or moving.  You can push the gas pedal
and the engine revs up nicely but at just about any given rpm above say
1500 it will randomly start the sputtering.  When driving there is almost no
power available and the sputtering and coughing is real bad then.

Brad,

I know this sounds stupid, but.... are you sure the spark plug wires are
installed in the right order?

I remember doing a tune up on my '72 Vega (great car) in college when it
started to rain as I was finishing.  I buttoned it up quickly and went
inside.  Later, I brought a date out to the car to go to dinner.  It ran
like sh*t at anything over idle.  She looked very concerned.  I popped the
hood, saw and corrected the problem within the first minute and got back in
the car (with clean hands).  Needless to say, she was impressed.  ;-)

Regards,

Jack (not meaning to slight your techincal abilities) Brooks
TS69032L
Hillsdale, NJ
My car show: http://pages.hotbot.com/family/triumph