Sputtering and a popping

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sputtering and a popping
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:59:15 -0500
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
Listers,

Got a problem with my spitfire that really has me baffled.

First my setup.

Stock 1147 motor including carbs, points and coil.  Just had the head done
with new valves and guides.  New plugs and plug wires.  The points and
condensor have about 500 miles or so on them but are probably about 8
years old.  Distributor cap new within 500 miles.  No wobble noticeable in
the distributor shaft.  Carbs rebuilt about 500 miles ago including oversized
throttle shafts installed.  Fuel pump rebuilt 500 miles ago.  Fuel filter
replaced 500 miles ago.  New timing chain and gears.  Vacuum advance
seems to function fine.

Symptoms.

At anything above idle speed the engine will randomly sputter and
sometimes pop or I guess you could call it a cough or hesitation.  This
happens when the car is stopped or moving.  You can push the gas pedal
and the engine revs up nicely but at just about any given rpm above say
1500 it will randomly start the sputtering.  When driving there is almost no
power available and the sputtering and coughing is real bad then.

Tomorrow I will try and locate a set of points and a new condensor to see if
they are bad.  I will also replace the fuel filter.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Triumph Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 4/9/99)
My Dodge Web Site Http://www.141.com/dodge (updated 4/7/99)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1965 TR4 CT38888LO parts car?
1959 TR3A TS41311L       -- 1959 TR3A TS53523L parts car
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108