Re: TR6 - Electrical Questions

To: amiller@jetform.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Electrical Questions
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:29:54 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/99 7:55:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
amiller@JetForm.com writes:

>  1.   I need a 'constant' live 12v connection to power the clock/tuning
>  memory on the AM/FM Cassette.  Which wire carries constant power easily
>  accessible from the passenger side footwell on a LHD car ?  (then again,
>  since the steering wheel is off and the seats are out the drivers side is
>  also easily accessible !)

Andrew,

I'm running a little late on this one, but.....

Trevor Jordan was correct when he said to connect to a purple wire. The
purple wires are hot all the time, and they are fused. This means you don't
have to add a separate fuse for the radio if you don't want to (although
nearly all radios come with a fuse already installed in the line). Use
whichever purple wire is convenient.

>       My question:  I would like to wire the FIAM compressor/horns in
>  parallel to the existing set with a switch on the FIAM circuit.  This way I
>  could turn the FIAMs off and use the horn button on the wheel to sound an
>  alert through the standard set (i.e. in my neighbourhood, polite reminders
>  etc),  if no response I could turn the FIAM circuit live and sound a second
>  alert using the air horns (i.e. travelling on a highway with 18-wheeler
>  sound interference)

The fix given to you by Trevor will work just fine, but that method leaves
the switchover relay energized whenever you have the FIAM horns selected, and
requires the use of a relatively hard to find and expensive SPDT relay.
Nothing at all wrong with that, but I just prefer not to have the relay
operated more than needed -- I would rather operate the relay only when it is
needed, ie only when the horns are actually blowing -- and I can't buy the
SPDT relays where I live, I have to mail order them.

As I said, there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Trevors suggestion, but I'd
like to offer an alternative. I think there might be a fair amount of
interest in this, so I made up a web page (dontcha just love the internet?)
with detailed instructions for doing this, including diagrams. It can be
found at:

http://members.aol.com/DANMAS3/airhorns.htm

>       Has anyone done this ? or have I been sniffing too many solder/rosin
>  fumes during the wiring harness repair ?

If so, that's two of us, as I like to do stuff like this.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74