Re: TR6 - Electrical Questions

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 - Electrical Questions
From: "Frank Biedermann" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:07:07 +0930charset="iso-8859-1"

Andrew Miller wrote:

>Listers, (or should I direct this question directly to Dan Masters ?)
>
>Two questions wrt 1975 TR6
>
>1.     I need a 'constant' live 12v connection to power the clock/tuning
>memory on the AM/FM Cassette.  Which wire carries constant power easily
>accessible from the passenger side footwell on a LHD car ?  (then again,
>since the steering wheel is off and the seats are out the drivers side is
>also easily accessible !)

I believe there's a constantly hot terminal on the ignition switch which
you can use for this purpose (at least there is on my '69 model, which will
have a different ignition switch configuration to yours) - I can't remember
which one, and I don't have my Bentley's at work (although I should just in
case something goes wrong).

You could just probe the terminals with a multi/volt meter (with the battery
connected of course) to find out which one. Then again, someone on the list
may have memorised the terminal configuration of the ignition switch - you
never know your luck.

>2.     On the way home the other night I had to remind a minivan that there
>are other cars in other lanes.  The stock horn sounds more like "ahem, I
>hate to interrupt but if it's not too much trouble would mind terribly if
>you checked your blind spot sometime during your lane change ?"  so I
bought
>a FIAM air horn set "Yo, check your blind spot BEFORE attempting lane
>change"
>
>       My question:  I would like to wire the FIAM compressor/horns in
>parallel to the existing set with a switch on the FIAM circuit.  This way I
>could turn the FIAMs off and use the horn button on the wheel to sound an
>alert through the standard set (i.e. in my neighbourhood, polite reminders
>etc),  if no response I could turn the FIAM circuit live and sound a second
>alert using the air horns (i.e. travelling on a highway with 18-wheeler
>sound interference)
>
>       Has anyone done this ? or have I been sniffing too many solder/rosin
>fumes during the wiring harness repair ?

I haven't done this but it sounds easy enough, and a sensible thing to do
too.
The PO of my TR6 had installed air horns and thrown away the stock horns,
which I suppose is fair enough. Unfortunately, and this is where he earns
the "D" prefix for PO, he had also not bothered to use the centre push
switch on the steering wheel for the new horns, but instead installed a push
button switch in the centre console *behind* the gear stick - a very
inconvenient location indeed. You should consider yourself lucky that
you can actually find your horn switch *before* the accident happens :-)....
Must get around to fixing that someday, and the fuel mixture, and the valve
guides, and the paintwork, etc...

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6