TR6 Idle Adjustment

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Idle Adjustment
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:23:50 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
My TR6 had a problem maintaining a consistent idle.  The RPM's would
start out at about 1000 but drift up as high as 2000 if I left the car
parked and running.  I stopped into my mechanics shop yesterday and he
adjusted them down but also noticed that something seemed to be hanging
up inside one of the carb's (carb's are stock).  In addition to the
adjustment, the fast idle reacted to simple tapping of the carb with a
screwdriver handle.  My mechanic suggested that I bring the car in
sometime to have the carb's cleaned.

As a kid I sprayed and poured can after can of gumout into my cars.  Is
this cleaning something that can be done externally or through an
additive in the tank?  I already have a better idle, but in my endless
search for "perfection", I am curious about this new issue inside my
carb's.  At the same time, I am reluctant to pour anything other than
gas into my tank and I'm definitely going to keep my hands away from the
carb's.

Any thoughts?

Jack Radley