Re: Triumph purple

To: " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph purple
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 99 18:39:26 -0700
>I want to paint it a '95 Ford color called "Ultra violet pearl metallic"....a
deep purple

I think it depends upon your own feelings about what is attractive, how
you plan to drive the car and how thick your hide is when it comes to
comments from other British car owners.

If you like the combination and care less what others say, do it.  It has
been my experience that most LBC owners are a stuffy lot when it comes to
modifying any LBC that is not a race car or a Land Rover (British tinker
toy).  You can easily get away with "period" modifications and period hot
rod stuff without too much frowning but nonstock body colouring will get
your car shunned at British car meets by those who recognize stock
colours.  When I was considering colours for my TR3A I *ALMOST* went for
a dark green from a Dodge Stelth.  It was one of those colours that looks
different depending on how the light hits it.  It can go from black to an
intense dark metalic green.  It thought it would do an excellent job of
showing off the car's lines and the bright work.

At the last minute I decided to take the car back to it's original
factory colour (Signal red).  I did it because I seem to need a favorable
opinion from strangers and I wouldn't be happy if people were ragging on
me about the colour.  I finally decided that I would like the green for a
while then wish it were a factory colour later.  I had this deep down
feeling that a modern colour on an old car wouldn't feel quite "right" to
me when all was said and done.

Of the post TS6000 colours I personally think that black, red and BRG
shows off the bright work the best.  My car was a Chevy white then I
purchased her and the bright work did not stand out at all.  Unfortunalty
signal red has become so popular that there may be more signal red TR3s
on the road today than the factory ever built.  If you get a light layer
of mud on the body panels to smooth out the factory stamping waves, black
would look VERY striking and stand out at a meet against a sea of red
TR3s.

Bottom line....  You will have to live with it for a while.  If the
colour fits your idea of pleasing, feels right to you on a TR3 and you
don't mind stuffy British car chalvinists shunning your car and not
taking you seriously because of your car's colour, do it.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937