RE: TR6 starter wouldn't turn

To: "'Andrew Mace'" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: RE: TR6 starter wouldn't turn
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:01:47 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Good point. I did not clean them. The terminals on the solenoid appear to be
rust colored but not caked with any corrosion. But there probably is some
corrosion. To my knowledge, they have never been touched since the car was
new (its a 52,000 mile 2-owner car that I bought at 40,000 miles in 1989
with service records so I can tell with a fair amount of confidence what has
been serviced over the years). This will be my next weekend project --
cleaning the connectors and terminals on the solenoid. I may go ahead and
replace the solenoid with a new one while I'm in there just to be sure. The
only concerns I typically have about replacing original parts is that
sometimes I've found that the new "repro" parts do not hold up as well or as
long as the original component. Maybe I've just had bad luck. Thanks for the
input.
Regards, Greg Hutmacher   1976 TR6