TR6 starter wouldn't turn

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 starter wouldn't turn
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:53:24 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I had such good luck with all the help on my carbs, I thought I would
solicit opinions on another problem. After spending the weekend working on
my 76 TR6 (I fixed the carbs, replaced the front brakes, installed a spin-on
oil filter adapter, and did a few other odds and ends), suddenly the car
would not start. I had full electrical power (lights, horn, wipers, all
warning lights, etc) but the starter would not turn over. This was after the
car had started perfectly only an hour or two earlier. When I turned the
key, I would get one click and then nothing. I pulled the battery cables off
to check for corrosion and/or loose fit. All was fine but I cleaned the
terminals thoroughly anyway and re-tightened. Still nothing. I checked the
charge on the battery and it was strong. Just to make certain, I switched
the battery out with my other car with no affect. I pulled the aircleaner
off and checked the wires and terminals at the starter solenoid and all
looked tight and good. Checked the fuses (don't know if a fuse would affect
the starter but checked anyway). Tried the starter again. Still nothing.
Finally, out of frustration, I took a metal prybar and jumped the two
terminals on the starter solenoid which caused the starter to turn. So I
knew the starter was good. Immedeately after this, just for grins, I tried
the key again and, guess what. It started! Did my shorting the two terminals
on the solenoid cause it to suddenly start working? Over the next several
hours, I periodically tested it again and again and it works fine. But
problems like this scare me worse than a completely dead starter because I
naturally wonder when it will do it again. Likely when I'm 30 miles from
home. What does it sound like the problem is? I was thinking about replacing
the solenoid just to be safe. Thoughts?
Regards, Greg Hutmacher  1976 TR6