Re: TR6 starter wouldn't turn

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 starter wouldn't turn
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:38:45 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hutmacher, Greg wrote:

> I had such good luck with all the help on my carbs, I thought I would
> solicit opinions on another problem. After spending the weekend working on
> my 76 TR6 (I fixed the carbs, replaced the front brakes, installed a spin-on
> oil filter adapter, and did a few other odds and ends), suddenly the car
> would not start. I had full electrical power (lights, horn, wipers, all
> warning lights, etc) but the starter would not turn over. This was after the
> car had started perfectly only an hour or two earlier. When I turned the
> key, I would get one click and then nothing. I pulled the battery cables off
> to check for corrosion and/or loose fit. All was fine but I cleaned the
> terminals thoroughly anyway and re-tightened. Still nothing. I checked the
> charge on the battery and it was strong. Just to make certain, I switched
> the battery out with my other car with no affect. I pulled the aircleaner
> off and checked the wires and terminals at the starter solenoid and all
> looked tight and good. Checked the fuses (don't know if a fuse would affect
> the starter but checked anyway). Tried the starter again. Still nothing.
> Finally, out of frustration, I took a metal prybar and jumped the two
> terminals on the starter solenoid which caused the starter to turn. So I
> knew the starter was good. Immedeately after this, just for grins, I tried
> the key again and, guess what. It started! Did my shorting the two terminals
> on the solenoid cause it to suddenly start working? Over the next several
> hours, I periodically tested it again and again and it works fine. But
> problems like this scare me worse than a completely dead starter because I
> naturally wonder when it will do it again. Likely when I'm 30 miles from
> home. What does it sound like the problem is? I was thinking about replacing
> the solenoid just to be safe. Thoughts?
> Regards, Greg Hutmacher  1976 TR6

I'd replace the solenoid. If you don't, you'll likely be
experiencing this problem with growing frequency.

Incidentally, the starter in my GT6 was quite sluggish (but worked)
until I replaced the solenoid; now, with good contact happening in
the solenoid, the starter turns over as new.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6