Re: TR6 starter wouldn't turn

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 starter wouldn't turn
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:48:15 -0400 ()
Cc: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Hutmacher, Greg wrote:

> ...Finally, out of frustration, I took a metal prybar and jumped the two
> terminals on the starter solenoid which caused the starter to turn. So I
> knew the starter was good. Immedeately after this, just for grins, I tried
> the key again and, guess what. It started! Did my shorting the two terminals
> on the solenoid cause it to suddenly start working? Over the next several
> hours, I periodically tested it again and again and it works fine...
> What does it sound like the problem is? I was thinking about replacing
> the solenoid just to be safe.

My thoughts? Odds are replacing the solenoid would cure the problem. But
there's a good chance that the cure will have had nothing to do with it
being a new solenoid. I would suggest disconnecting the battery, then
thoroughly CLEANING all terminals at the solenoid. I know you said you
checked them; if by checking you also meant cleaned them up, then I
apologize for misunderstanding. Just the cleaning alone might take care of
the problem.

--Andy