Re: Engine Rebuild Tools?

Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Tools?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:31:57 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Well, I disagree.  The dial indicator is useful for checking cam lobe
wear (in the car!), measuring end float for the steering box, setting up
the transmission and rear end, checking brake runout, etc.  I also used
mine to find out that the machine shop did not hone my new valve guides
as I asked!  The stand and gauge are only about $25 at Enco.

Mikes and telescoping gauges are good for checking piston and bore
sizes, crank pins, etc.  Since rod & main bearings can be changed with
the engine in the car, it's somewhat inconvenient to have a shop measure
the crank <g>

The only things on Mike's list that I don't own and use are :
1) Ridge reamer. (I just bang 'em out)
2) Small hole gauge set (I use the dial indicator for valve guides)
3) Valve spring pressure checker (assuming that's what he meant, I just
bought new ones instead)
4) Piston ring file and expander (Just do it by hand, with care)

I just bought one of HF's seal driver sets (half price, I couldn't
resist).  Sure enough, the very next seal I needed to drive (rocker arm
in the steering), the HF set dowsn't fit !  Oh well, back to using a
Craftsman socket <g>

Randall