Re: Engine Rebuild Tools?

To: Michael Morelli <mvmorel@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Tools?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 18:46:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Michael Morelli wrote:

> The question is : 'Where have you guys found good precision measuring tools?'
> I've
> checked out MSC, Harbor Freight, Lisle, K&D, Sears, etc., but can only find
>some of the
> tools.  Some that I've found are really crappy too.  On my list are:
>
> 0-1" Dial indicator (0.001"), with magnetic base
> 6" Dial Calipers (0.001")
> 0-1" and 2-3" outside micrometers (0.0001")
> Telescoping gauge set or possibly a dial bore gauge (0.0001")
> Small hole gauge set

You can get all of these, in varying prices and quality, from Lee Valley
Tools, a mail-order and counter-sales hardware "chain" in Canada.

They primarily sell woodworking (and garden) tools, but the $15 0-1
micrometer I got from them is good quality.  It's made in China, and comes
in a pretty rough box, but it's a good price for a (new!) mike.  I saw the
same one at an auto parts store for $50.  The 1-2" mike at the auto parts
store was $65.  Here's hoping Lee Valley starts importing that size too
:-)

Lee Valley has a web site at http://www.leevalley.com .  They have a $5
catalog and also do small mailings, usually once every 2 months.

> For any of you that are in the Seattle area, I'd be interested in any local
>tool shops
> you might suggest as well.

LV has a store in Vancouver (BC), but you might still need a customer
number to be able to buy things from them.  I've found their mail order
service to be excellent; however, shipping might be a bind (unless you
have a Canadian drop off point)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm