Stromberg adjustment problems

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stromberg adjustment problems
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:52:42 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Okay, I've learned my lesson...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I made the
mistake of trying to fine tune my Strombergs last night on my 76 TR6 even
though they were running pretty well. I suspected my fuel/air mixture being
a little off. Anyway, I tried out my new Colortune for the first time and
now have totally screwed up the carb adjustment. I used the special
adjusting tool with the hex key and the barrel that fits into the top of the
dashpot. I got frustrated because no matter which way or how much I turned
the adjustment tool, the Colortune never showed any changes (medium blue
with occasional bright orange flashes). I made the mistake of continuing to
turn the adjustment tool trying to get a deeper blue color on both carbs. I
screwed something up because the color never changed but now the car runs
much worse. The car idles rough where it was smooth before, when I
accelerate hard, it seems to not have as much power and sounds "deeper". I
also did the test where you lift the carb piston up and the idle dropped
drastically (tried to stall). One thing I wondered is if I may have torn the
rubber diaphram on my rear carb in trying to turn the needle because it was
really hard to turn (as opposed to the front carb which turned fairly
easily). This weekend, I'll take the dash pot covers off and check the
diaphram and whatever else I can see. Any ideas? Also, what weight of oil is
best for the dashpots? By the way, the guy at TSI told me that the
Strombergs have almost no adjustment in the fuel air mixture. He said no
matter how much you turn the adjustment, there is almost no change in the
fuel air mixture on Strombergs since they are "tamper proof". This seems to
be supported by what I saw on my Colortune. Thoughts?
Thanks, Greg Hutmacher (bummed out because my formerly smooth running six is
now running like crap)