Re: Stromberg adjustment problems

To: ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com
Subject: Re: Stromberg adjustment problems
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:39:43 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 09-Apr-99 14:39:52 Eastern Daylight Time,
ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com writes:

> Also, what weight of oil is best for the dashpots?

I use 20w.  Available (cheap) in the "3-in1Oil" blue can at Home Depot or
Builders' Square.  Works fine for me and is recommended in one of the
manuals.  You could also use 30w engine oil which would slow the piston rise
a little because it is heavier.

>  By the way, the guy at TSI told me that the
>  Strombergs have almost no adjustment in the fuel air mixture. He said no
>  matter how much you turn the adjustment, there is almost no change in the
>  fuel air mixture on Strombergs since they are "tamper proof". This seems to
>  be supported by what I saw on my Colortune. Thoughts?

Your mechanic may be right.  Although the color tune worked for me and I
could see the color change as I adjusted the mixture screw on my ZS 175CD's,
you have, I think, 175CD-SE's (or SEV if your car is a '72 TR6).  According
to the Stromberg Carburetter manual from INTERAUTO:

"  All C.D.S.E. carbuetters are fitted with fixed main jets which cannot
normally be adjusted for mixture variation.  A number of C.D.S.E. units may
appear to have a facility for jet adjustment via a socket in the main jet
plug but this should not be altered."

BUT (here we go again) - later it says:

" However, some C.D.S.E. carburetters are fitted with adjustable metering
needles as described in section 3.2 [C.D.3 carbs] and the procedure set out
there should be followed when adjustment is required."

ALSO - there is a warning in section 3.2 (see above) that that adjustment is
very limited and "care should be taken not to turn the key more than one turn
in either direction from the datum point, as this may damage the mechanism or
cause the needle assembly to disengage from the adjusting screw."

If you need more info come back to me and I'll check out the rest of the
manual.  Cheers.

Art Kelly