Re: TR3 rings- expansion rings (found but....)

To: Gbouff1@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 rings- expansion rings (found but....)
From: George Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:39:57 -0700
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Gbouff1@aol.com wrote:

> He also said that if there is more than .007 space betwen the piston skirt and
> cylinder wall that the engine would sound like a diesel due to piston slap.

FWIW:  The Haynes manual says wear is excessive if you can get a .010
feeler gauge between the piston and the cylinder (on the thrust side of
the bore).  This was the guide I used when I had my engine apart.  As I
recall mine was a bit over this spec but I was a lot younger, poorer and
probably not overly bright... anyway I reassembled using stock rings and
have had no problems.  That was 17 years & 25,000 miles ago.

As for sound... no slap, no diesel truck, really quite smooth.  Maybe I
got lucky or maybe there's a lot margin for future wear in that spec.

Of course the check for roundness/ovality (is that a word?) is another
matter apart from clearance.

I suppose a lot depends on how you plan on driving the car and your
objectives in the restoration.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A TS47905