Re: TR3 rings- expansion rings (found but....)

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <Gbouff1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 rings- expansion rings (found but....)
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:57:05 -0800
Yes I have run into the gap problem. Order rings for a bore .010 larger
than yours and carfully file them down to the correct (.004/in of bore)
gap.

.007 is way too much

I bet with that much wear your cyls are worn out of round too and rotating
them is just going to garantee you high oil comsumtion, pinging and noise.
You have worn out pistons, replace them.
The money you spend now will long be forgotten 2 yrs from now as you enjoy
your sweet TR3 motor.
I've proven the opposite to myself too many times!!!!!!

good luck
Don Boyd

 doesn't
> recomend Hastings rings for a TR3A engine.  He said the reason that he
doesn't
> use them is because their ring gap is too large. >
> He also said that if there is more than .007 space betwen the piston
skirt and
> cylinder wall that the engine would sound like a diesel due to piston
slap.