Re: TR6 windscreen frame and strg whl removal

To: Steve Myers <steve@mindtribe.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 windscreen frame and strg whl removal
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:40:33 -0500
Steve Myers wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I'm replacing my steering bushes and upper crash pad in my '71 TR6 and have
> a couple misc questions (maybe trying to figure these out at 2AM wasn't
> helping, either!):
>
> - To remove the windscreen frame, I've removed two nuts at the bottom of the
> frame's mounting posts, one on each side of the car. The Bentley manual says
> to then "loosen" the six bolts holding the windscreen post mounting frame to
> the car, but the diagram shows only four bolts. I've loosened the four bolts
> shown but the frame will still not budge. Any of you removed the windscreen
> frame before and can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> - To remove the steering wheel, the manual calls for a special tool. Anybody
> have suggestions how to do this without the tool?
>
> Thanks much for any advice,
> Steve Myers
> '71 TR6

Steve,
I just got done removing the windshield frame from my spitfire.  I do not know
if the TR6 has a similar mounting scheme, but I found that the pockets which
hold the two posts on the sides of the frame are clamped around the posts.  Just
removing the nuts on the ends of the posts is not enough. Check for bolts which
hold the windshield post pockets in place and loosen if present.  Let us know
what you find.

--
Patrick Barber, Allen Park, MI
70 Spitfire MkIII FDU89984L