TR6 clutch hydraulics

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 clutch hydraulics
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:47:27 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Just to update the clutch hydraulics problem...I think I found the culprit.
It's the new master cylinder. I was replacing my old master cylinder with a
new one because the old one was leaking fluid (ruined my front carpet).  But
the old one still actuated the clutch just fine. This evening, after trying
to bleed and re-bleed the system endlessly, I pulled the new cylinder off
and put the old one back on just to check it.  Within two minutes (using the
Mityvac bleeding system), the clutch was actuating perfectly. And this after
I spent all day trying to bleed that thing. So I need to replace the new
cylinder and that should solve my problem.  By the way, the trick someone on
the list mentioned about pushing the slave cylinder rod in to push air out
of the slave works great. That's a trick I've used in the past when I was
bleeding the old fashioned way.  But it doesn't seem to be necessary with a
vacuum bleeding system.  I also wanted to say that I flushed a lot of fresh
fluid through the system and I bet I have the cleanest clutch hydraulics in
town (even with my old master cylinder). It really is a good idea to flush
it through several times at the expense of a 32 ounce can of fluid.  I had
never flushed that much fluid through in the past and always ended up with
some gray or black color in the "new" fluid.
Thanks for the advice!
Greg
76 TR6
68 MGB/GT