Re: The first Dolomites

To: "Gano, Ken" <kengano@advant.com>
Subject: Re: The first Dolomites
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:39:10 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Gano, Ken wrote:

> Recently I've seen several references to a '39 Triumph Dolomite.  I know
> there was a Dolomite model sold in the UK in the sixties or seventies, but I
> can find no particular reference to this earlier model.  The Classic and
> Sports Car values section doesn't list it and I don't seem to have anything
> in the personal library.
>
> Were they imported into this country?  (USA) How many were made?  How rare
> are they now?  Anybody have a URL for a picture?

The Dolomite was once referred to as "the best Alfa that Triumph ever
built".  It's a very pretty car.  Ken Richardson (someone you should
know about...) raced them for Triumph.  He also crashed one into a train
(and took a picture right after.  Maybe that was Donald Healey, I'm not a
big history buff.)  I think.

It had a straight-eight engine, big drum brakes, the usual fare.
"Autocar" had an article on it; I saw a reprint in a Triumph coffee-table
style book.  I can't remember the name of the book but it's at the local
public library.

Hmm, I did write an list message regarding this book ages ago... maybe I
will check those shiny new archives and see if'n I can't find my own
writ...

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm