Re: Gender bender

To: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Subject: Re: Gender bender
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 21:29:02 -0700
Cc: Michael Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Bertschy wrote:

> Which came first; the people waving at the spitfires, or the friendly
> drivers of spitfires? Maybe the drivers are friendly because people come up
> to them and tell them what great cars they drive!

It's a function of the uniqueness, I believe--I always get lots of
friendly waves from other drivers in VW buses when I'm driving mine.
LBCs were the same way. I imagine it started with servicemen bringing
back British cars in the early `50s--if one saw another on the road, one
immediately recognized a kindred spirit.

But, funny thing--the one car (which I usually drove only when taking my
parents to Logan airport in Boston) that I always got more waves per
mile than any other was my father's--an `82 Dodge Aries wagon... with
POW license plates.

Cheers.