Re: Oil Cooler volume

To: "Greg Tobin" <greg.tobin@mci.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler volume
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:34:11 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>     This spring, I plan on installing an oil cooler to my '72 Mark IV to
>help cool it down from the 80 mile round trip to work at 5000rpm at 7000foot
>elevation.  The 1 gallon capacity radiator just doesn't cut it, even with a
>supplemental fan and proper shrouding.
Well as far as the oil level, it won't be a problem.  When the engine is
running, the oil will be circulating.  Any oil that did drain back at rest
would quickly be recirculated as soon as you started the engine so unless
you put too much oil in the first place you needn't worry about any
draining back into the crankcase.   Check it immediately when you shut off
the engine to make sure you have the proper level.  The worst that this
would do would be to cause a longer period of time to build oil pressure,
which in itself is not too good - as far as engine cooling goes, while the
oil cooler is certainly beneficial and has some engine cooling effect, I
don't think you will see much if any of a reduction in the operating temp
of the engine.  Most of the heat dissipated by the radiator lies in and
around the upper cylinder and head (where very little oil [relatively]
circulates).  Also, you are running the oil at a much higher temp for
proper operation, than the coolant.  The main effect of the oil cooler is
cooling the bearing surfaces of the crank and rods -  I put one on the GT
and noticed little if any water temp reduction - Your only real cure for
that (that is if everything is operating at specification) is to provide a
bigger radiator, assuring you have proper airflow through it.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)