Oil Cooler volume

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil Cooler volume
From: "Greg Tobin" <greg.tobin@mci.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:09:00 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <greg.tobin@mci.com>

     This spring, I plan on installing an oil cooler to my '72 Mark IV to
help cool it down from the 80 mile round trip to work at 5000rpm at 7000foot
elevation.  The 1 gallon capacity radiator just doesn't cut it, even with a
supplemental fan and proper shrouding.

     When you install an oil cooler what is the consensus for adding any
more oil to the crankcase to compensate for the extra volume now added by
the cooler?

    The engine is meant to have a certain amount, ~4 quarts, to keep
everything happy and cool, yet if you add the cooler, you effectively drain
off almost a quart that is at anytime going through the cooler and hoses,
and was previously coursing through the motor.   Is it recommended to add an
extra 1/2 quart (or more, depending on the cooler) to keep the oil at the
proper quantity in the motor?

   I'm leaning towards the side that says it won't be a problem:  First,
most of the 'sandwich' plates that go between the filter and the block have
some sort of anit-run-back valve, preventing the crankcase from getting too
full, casuing too much splash back on the reciprocating assembly (and broken
pistons).  second, the cooler will most likely be at almost the same height
as the oil pan, and will hold the oil in it anyways, casuing no harm.

   Any thoughts on this?

  Of course, the flip side to this is that once I install the cooler, I
won't be able to tell that my dwell is off by 2 degrees due to it running
too hot...

Greg Tobin
72 Mark IV Daily Driver, 40K original miles.
79 1500      Garage Potato, soon to be a Spit-6
70 GT6+     2.65 Cars in boxes, enough spares to make a Spit-6