Re: Bearings and Oil Pump

To: vscjohn@iamerica.net
Subject: Re: Bearings and Oil Pump
From: Rengrave@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 21:10:56 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 1/6/99 11:09:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
vscjohn@iamerica.net writes:

<< Wayne, plastiguage is used to measure bearing to journal clearance.  If you
are
 going to replace bearings you need to first measure the journals with a mike
 check wear/size/out of round.  Also examine for scoring.  Then determine
whether
 the crank needs to be turned.  When you reassemble with new bearings use
 plastiguage to check clearance.  John >>

I intend on replacing the bearings with the engine still in the car. I though
I could check the bearing wear between all the existing bearings and the crank
surface, then I would know what thickness I would have to buy for new
bearings. I don't think I would have enough room to use a mike especially the
front main bearing area.
Of course I intend on checking for any ridges that may be present on the
bearings or the crank surface, then I guess I will have to pull the crankshaft
out and have it turned at a machine shop. :(

Wayne from Massachusetts
1973 TR6 Mallard/New Tan