Spitfire help needed!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire help needed!
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@earth.nwu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:38:19 -0500

Hello folks,

I am the newest of newbies: I've had my '78 Spitfire, my first Triumph, for
all of about 5 days now. I sure love the little scooter, but it needs some
help in the "scoot" department. I have been unable to resolve the problem
and thought someone here might have an idea or two.

The car seems to be misfiring. It runs very rough under load, like
accelerating  in 2nd or 3rd gear. Once at speed, it runs smoothly if I let
it lope along in the lower RPMs of a given gear, but getting up to speed
can be a rough experience. The car idles smoothly for the most part, but
while the idle is pretty good (it audibly skips a beat now and then), it
will start burbling if I really rev it.

The car is drivable, but not really. It is definitely not operating the way
it should. I have narrowed it down (I think) to the carb. Since adjusting
the mixture has a noticable effect on the problem, it would seem that the
carb is the culprit. I can get it to the point that the problem is
minimized, but not eliminated.

Since I bought the car, I have installed a new battery, new plugs, wires,
and distributor cap. And the ignition (which was retrofitted to points by
the PO) have been checked by a local Triumph buddy who is knowledgable in
that area.

Any ideas? Most of you have much more experience than I do, so thanks in
advance for any help.

Eric.

Eric A. Yates
eyates@earth.nwu.edu