Re: Spitfire help needed!

To: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@earth.nwu.edu>
Subject: Re: Spitfire help needed!
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:39:19 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Eric,
        Congratulations and welcome to the nuthouse ...

A note of caution, adjusting the mixture can seem to compensate
for other problems.

One thing that will give symtoms like this is vacum leaks. Look for
cracked (or missing !) hoses,  and listen for hissing and ringing sounds
coming for around the carb(s) (obviously a functioning carb makes some
hissing, but this should come from the opening).  If you find a suspect
area, spraying a little carb  cleaner on it will change the idle
dramatically if there is a leak (care should be taken since this is
nasty flammable stuff and you don't want to breath the fumes if it drips
on a hot part).

Make sure the low voltage wires to the coil / dizzy are in good shape too.

Did you change the points and condenser along with the other
ignition stuff ?

Have you checked the timing ?

And finally, there as a team.net list devoted entirely to spitfire and GT6
(spitfires@autox.team.net) You can subscribe to it the same
way you subscribed to triumphs.

Good luck.

--