Front Suspension help

To: rgb@exact.com, rgk@flash.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Front Suspension help
From: Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:11:55 -0500

Hi all,

Just put new tires under the '6 (215/70s) and discovered the fronts rub
under mild compression.  Since the old tires were severely undersized
(165/80s) I didn't see the problem before, so I need to solve it now.

The main visible problem is excess camber, something like 3-4 degrees
negative, and low ride height at the fender.  I do not have enough shims
to remove this much camber, and the upper wishbone mount are turned to
minimize negative camber. The suspension has been rebuilt with poly
bushings, but I did not replace the spring pads nor did I measure the
spring free length (tisk, tisk...).

As I understand unequal, dual wishbone suspension, as you compress the
spring, you increase camber.  I believe now that either the spring has
fatigued over time, or the insulators have compressed enough to increase
the spring installed length.  My idea is to replace the insulators with
poly, and possibly 'tune' camber by shimming the spring as we do for the
rear.  This should correct for both situations.

Does this make sense and has anyone tried this?  I really did not want
to get new springs, and am still not sure that this solves the problem.

Scott Mackay
Austin, TX