Re: One Awesome Car (TR6)

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: One Awesome Car (TR6)
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:18:20 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> The car runs strong and smooth, but the starter has a problem.  The previous
> owner carried a small hammer in the car because periodically the starter has
> to be tapped with the hammer while another person turns the key to get it to
> spin.  Before I start tearing into this problem, I thought I'd ask some of the
> TR6 guys on the list if they could give me some tips on how to remedy the
> problem.  Is it the starter or the or maybe it's the solenoid???  Maybe this
> has happened to some of you in the past and your knowlege will save me some
> unessesary hastles.

It could be either the solenoid or the starter.  Methinks it is some 30yr
old grease that is no longer greasy.  Or no lubricant at all!  First thing
to replace would be the solenoid; they're inexpensive and easier to do
than the starter.  (On the TR4, anyway... some cars have a built-in
solenoid)

Next order of business is to remove the starter and overhaul it (or take
it to an auto-test place and see if they can figure it out)... and
probably to start saving beans to buy a new starter.  Sometimes you can
get away with just a brush rebuild / bearing refresh... but in my
experiences, it's better to just replace the thing.

> Also, the car is currently riding on some older tires that need to be
> replaced.  I want to replace them with redlines but I'm not quite sure about
> their availability.  Are they available?  If so, where can I purchase them and
> how much $$.

I think they are still being made by a few manufacturers.  Check around
the local small outfits and see if they have any old stock.  I came across
a pair of Michelin XZX redlines, NOS, 165R15... I think they sold in a
matter of hours.  I had the tire guy keep an eye out for more and ended up
with a set of 4 Motomaster (BFGoodrich) 165SR15s for an excellent price.
Not redlines, but they're more round than the current boots, and I'm not
sure I'll be keeping my car forever.

> Last question.  Since the undercarriage of the car has some surface rust, I
> was interested in cleaning it up the best I can, then sealing it with
> something to keep the rust from getting any worse.  Would Waxoyl be a good
> product to use or are there better choices??  This car is in great shape and I
> would like to help preserve it so I can use it, take care of it, and enjoy it
> for now.

I'd like to know more about this topic.  My frame is in good shape,
surface rust (except around the Automatic Underbelly Oilers).  I intend to
have the underside of the car steam cleaned, then sprayed with rust
treatment.

-Malcolm (62 TR4)
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm