One Awesome Car (TR6)

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: One Awesome Car (TR6)
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:57:10 EDT
Hi,

As some of you know, I have been searching for a TR6 to buy.  I finally found
one that I couldn't refuse and brought it home from Kentucky yesterday.  It's
a BRG '76 with tan interior, overdrive, 38k miles, never restored, and very
well preserved i.e. very little rust, good paint and it's one awesome car.
Unfortunately, the fact that it hasn't been used for periods of time during
the past 22 years has some drawbacks that I will have to deal with.

The car runs strong and smooth, but the starter has a problem.  The previous
owner carried a small hammer in the car because periodically the starter has
to be tapped with the hammer while another person turns the key to get it to
spin.  Before I start tearing into this problem, I thought I'd ask some of the
TR6 guys on the list if they could give me some tips on how to remedy the
problem.  Is it the starter or the or maybe it's the solenoid???  Maybe this
has happened to some of you in the past and your knowlege will save me some
unessesary hastles.

Also, the car is currently riding on some older tires that need to be
replaced.  I want to replace them with redlines but I'm not quite sure about
their availability.  Are they available?  If so, where can I purchase them and
how much $$.

Last question.  Since the undercarriage of the car has some surface rust, I
was interested in cleaning it up the best I can, then sealing it with
something to keep the rust from getting any worse.  Would Waxoyl be a good
product to use or are there better choices??  This car is in great shape and I
would like to help preserve it so I can use it, take care of it, and enjoy it
for now.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Helms
Northern Indiana