76' TR6 Air Pump

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 76' TR6 Air Pump
From: Clay Janes <waveterm@nwark.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:39:19 -0600
Ok, maybe ya'll can help me out.  I recently purchased a 76' TR6.  While
messing around under the bonnet I noticed that the PO had put on a
shorter fan belt that does loop around the air pump.  After doing a bit
of reading I surmised that the air pump was an addition to this late US
model for emissions reasons- pumping fresh air into the exhaust
manifold.  Is this correct and is it standard practice to disable this
air pump for more power?  Should I remove it from the engine for good?
Thoughts and previous expreince needed.
Thanks,
Clay