Re: TR6 Electric fuel pump wiring?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, <dstauffa@csc.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Electric fuel pump wiring?
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:50:38 -0700
Dave;
        If the facet pump your planing to use is the square,"jerk" type one,
that
pump doesnt have the flow capacity to keep a 320i pump supplied with enough
fuel. You would be better off changing the outlet of the tank to match the
dia. of the bosch pump (12mm I think) and use gravity feed. Best, but not
so easy, is to install a primary pump from a late 320i . You can buy one
from BMW , Volvo
or Ducati , they are all the same. (hint; volvo is about $100 cheaper and
they're all made by Delco). Since this is an in-tank pump, it is going to
take some cleverness to install it, but it can be done. How about building
a small holding tank for the pre pump that is gravity feed by a large(1/2
or 5/8) line. Put the pre pump in there with the electrical and fuel
connections at a removable port.(Section out a fuel guage/ pre pump mount
from any late Volvo 240 etc and weld it to the top of your holding tank
after removing the guage part and shortening the pre pump line). If all
this is sounding too involved, just mount the bosch main pump well below
the tank and give it a large line to breath through and you should be OK.
If you restrict the line with a 1/4 or 5/16 inlet (I dont know the ID of
the PI equipped car fuel line) and then try to make up for it with a facet,
you will probably (read "will") overheat the main pump. Good luck , I think
your on the right track. Bosch main pumps usally run at about 6-8 amps. 14
guage probably would work.

Don Boyd
3 Triumphs, but more importantly for this situation, 15 yrs of BMW an Volvo
shop experiance.