Re: TR4 - Engine Noise Problem(long)

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 - Engine Noise Problem(long)
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:16:39 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Thanks for all the input.

Here are answers to the questions posed.

The noise is rhythmic and tied to engine RPM.  I can drive along and feather
the gas pedal and bring it on lightly and right up to scary.

The noise cannot be duplicated with hood up or down and the engine revved in
place to a fairly well.

I just changed the oil to 15W50 Mobil 1 synthetic.  Had it done at the "fast
lube" can't tell about the flakes.

The new exhaust system is tight and solid.... al hangers in place.

I disconnected and plugged the vacuum advance and drove the car.  I seemed
to be able to give it more pedal in this config and the engine ran quite
well.... maybe not as punchy. I would expect less power and less vibration.

It has the oval can type filters that are on late TR4As.  I did find a dent
on the edge of the filter over the wheel well and it was my mistake in
mounting it upside down after carb work.  Changing it back to normal had no
effect on noise

Thanks again everyone... I will try all the good ideas about the hood and
testing motor mounts movement.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com