Re: TR4 - Engine Noise Problem(long)

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 - Engine Noise Problem(long)
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:14:35 -0700
Brian,

I'm guessing the noise only happens when you are on the road, in gear,
as you mentioned taking the hood off & going for a drive.

First, I'd suggest getting under the hood and looking around for a
clearance problem, such as the fan hitting something, when the torque
shifts the engines on those "soft" engine mounts. It may be a broken
mount. I'm suspicious about "soft".

You might pick up a mechanics stethascope (sp?) which would be helpful
if you think the noise is internal. I've overtightened the valve cover
hold down bolts and gotten an awful noise out of the rockers hitting the
inside, could be something like that. Worst case scenario is something
inside the motor, which the stethascope will help you determine.

Then I'd look a little farther at things like exhaust system brackets,
rear engine mount, the exhaust pipe where it passes through the frame
(ususally a "clunk") etc. It could be in the timing chain area.  The
clutch or gearbox or U-joints or drive shaft may be involved.

Could you simulate the "engine under torque" by CAREFULLY putting the
car up on stands, starting, putting in gear and letting the motor turn
the drive train?  Or, on the street, with nothing in front of the car,
how about with the brakes fully on and the wheels chocked, let the
clutch out enough to torque the engine, while standing to the side with
the hood open to see if you can get the noise to happen? Please use a
lot of caution with either of these procedures.

Get someone else to listen with you. (You'll need a helper for the last
couple procedures, anyway.) Often helps to have two sets of ears
listening from a couple different angles. Preferably someone with TR
experience, since we often hear the same noises!

Start with the simplest explanations and work "inward" from there.
Beware all those moving parts while you do these tests!

Good luck! As well as it sounds like the car is running, I hope it's a
simple, easy fix.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602

sanborn@net1plus.com wrote:

> I have a difficult problem I would like your thoughts on.  I just
> purchased my 62 TR4, which is really in good overall condition.  I
> have been working off a long list of mechanical chores and I am almost
> done....

...only happens when I push on the gas pedal, I thought it might be the
vacuum advance system cranking in too much advance and creating monster
pre-ignition.  The distributor is very sloppy with lots of twisting play
and end play. It is also in the wrong position compared to the workshop
manual.  The vacuum advance is pointing at 7:00 position instead of 9:30
o'clock.  I suspect that the drive gear is off one notch.  In order to
align the points the distributor must be turned counter-clock

--
MZ