Re: TR4 - Engine Noise Problem(long)

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 - Engine Noise Problem(long)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:22:54 -0400
Brian Sanborn writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          (Edited for bandwidth preservation)

I have a difficult problem I would like your thoughts on.  I just
purchased my 62 TR4, which is really in good overall condition.  I
have been working off a long list of mechanical chores and I am almost
done....

Here are the symptoms:

Engine starts and idles fine.  It is quite strong and peppy.
Compression is 175 across all cylinders. Oil pressure 70 lbs. Cold, 50
lbs. warmed up… still OK at idle.  Carbs are balanced and
smooth. BUT when I give it lots of gas pedal I hear a loud banging
noise that sounds like the hood "prop up" rod rattling on the wheel
well or something like that.  There is some added vibration that goes
with the added power, but not unusual.  The noise is not the bearing
noise I have heard before in my life, which sounds like the muted
sound of a hammer on a big anvil....

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L  Groton,MA
sanborn@net1plus.com

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think your observation about the engine mounts is the best
lead.  Remember, all the torque generated by the engine is
applied to the engine mounts (remember Newton's third law) and
as you apply throttle the engine is trying to rotate inside the
engine bay.  I think that the engine mounts are allowing so
much movement that the fan extension is hitting either the
steering rack or the cross member.  A worse scenerio is that
the fan is striking the radiator.

Check out the engine mounts.  This should be a lot easier and
cheaper than an engine rebuild.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3