Re: TR4 - Engine Noise Problem(long)

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 - Engine Noise Problem(long)
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:58:40 EST5EDT
Brian,

I wasn't sure from your post weather the noise is continuous, evenly rythmic or
random,
or if it's a one time deal that coincides with mashing the gas? If it's the
latter, do
you have stock air filters? If you have large K&N's they might be banging on
the bonnet
and wheel well. Old motor mounts let a strong engine move around quite a bit. I
solved my
problem with a bit of a dent for clearence on the inner fender and bit of
rubber
innertube glued to the underside of the bonnet at the contact point with a foam
"poster
square" sticky thing. (That's the technical term I believe. ;>)

Other things to check would be the exhaust system against the frame -- could a
hanger
have been left out?

Sounds like your radiator filler cap is a suspect as well.

Good Luck!

Chris Lillja
Spit MkIV
Norton Commando