Re: AARRGGHH...TR3 engine installation

To: vafred@erols.com
Subject: Re: AARRGGHH...TR3 engine installation
From: Mike Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:22:38 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Fred,
I have done this several times. My first TR3 was deseamed and welded
solid and so it was impossible to do it any other way. I don't
remember all the details but the engine needs to be stripped down to
make it fit and it will fit within a 1/4 inch. You will need to remove
the water pump, front pully, cyl. head(I think, because of the nose on
it) and possibly the flywheel. It will catch on the gas pedal linkage
and may bend it, but that's no big deal. Good luck not scratching
anything. I also installed the transmission after the engine. You have
enough to line up with the engine to have to add the transmission
splines. Besides it won't go in with the clutch installed. After the
engine is in and bolted to the front mounts and sitting on a floor
jack, install the clutch with the alignment tool and put a bolt with
the head cut off into one of the uppermost trans bolt mounts to aid
with alignment. I remember one real pain was installing the fan with
the radiator in place. The radiator will go in after the block and
before the head. Or you can remove the nose with 15 or so bolts and
drop it in complete with transmission attached. You might want to opt
for this option if the head is in place so you save the cost of
another.
I summary, it can be done but you basically build the engine in the
car.
--
Cheers,
Mike Thompson