Re: Speed Bleeders & torque wrenches

To: Luiching@aol.com
Subject: Re: Speed Bleeders & torque wrenches
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 18:11:16 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: lensman@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 Luiching@aol.com wrote:

> This is just my two cents but I would not use a foot pound scaled wrench to
> tighten something that requires so few foot pounds.  The reason is that the
> wrenchs are not accurate at the lowest or highest ratings.  A zero to 100 foot
> pounds range wrench is not accurate (quality of wrench dose come into play %
> dose vary) at its lowest 10% or Highest %.  It is best to use a wrench that
> the value you are tighting to is in its middle range.  If you are really
> concerened buy or borrow a inch pound  wrench.  Or just buy one from sears use
> it and return it.  It has been done.

If you buy one, don't buy the cheapy no-name brands.  My brother did, it's
no good for anything tight.  We used it to torque caliper bolts (90
ft-lb), and I think we stretched the spring inside.  This is the dial-in,
ratchet head torque wrench.

The flex-meter kind are probably fine for light duty, less moving parts to
break.  The high school shop managed to bust a Proto ratcheting torque
wrench, so I don't think they're good for rough-and-ready use.

Besides, these are bleed nipples.  I tighten mine by hand with the
shortest wrench I've got.  Not too tight either.  (Once in a fit of
strength I managed to bust a bleeder on the Chevette... and I was using
the short wrench.  Luckily none of the TR bleeders were stuck like that)

-Malcolm