Re: Speed Bleeders - Dumb Question

To: Jerry <lensman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Speed Bleeders - Dumb Question
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Jerry wrote:

> pumps and instead went with the Speed Bleeders.  One question -  upon
> reading the installation instructions (I learned a long time ago - read
> them first) it states to torque  using  "pounds per inch" not "pounds
> per foot" .  My torque wrench only references pounds per foot.  My dumb
> question is can I still use it?  Speed Bleeders states to torque them to
> 32-40 pounds per inch.  I thinking that it would be roughly 3-5 lbs
> using my wrench.

Yes, you can still torque up little things with a big wrench.  There are
12 inch-pounds in one foot-pound.

Torque is a twisting force- something has to rotate.  You apply a force
some distance away from the turning point, and that's applying torque.
For those who like vector math, the formula is t = F x d, where t is
torque, F is force applied (in this case, pounds) and d is the distance
from the rotation (inches / feet).  Metric equivalent is a Newton-Meter.

-Malcolm (boy, I'm glad I remember my Physics lectures)