Re: Clunk in TR6 front end

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Clunk in TR6 front end
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:43:51 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
If I understand your problem correctly (the frame bracket where the
front suspension wishbone mounts to the frame) this is a very common
problem with TR4A up through the TR6, all of which had adjustable (by
shimming) front suspension geometry. Kas Kastner dealt with it in the
competition prep manual and I think I saw something in www.vtr.org
maintenance manual area, as well. I'm pretty sure this is a deja vu
thread for the group, too.

The earlier TR4's didn't have adjustable steering geometry (except "have
a pro apply heat to the verticle link & bend it" yeah right). Has anyone
retrofitted an earlier 4 with this or other kind of adjustable system?
When my car is fully apart, I am thinking about engineering something
and would appreciate any input.

I am sure TRF sells something similar to Moss' kit to beef up the
brackets themselves with gusseting. Kastner also replaced the locating
pin with a 2nd bolt to double the strength of the attaching point
itself. It's very clearly spelled out w/photos in the manual.

The hardest part is the welding. Much easier during a frame off with the
engine removed.

You were very lucky to make it hom okay, driving that car with part of
the front suspension flapping in the wind!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602

--