Re: Brake Bleed Pumps

To: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Bleed Pumps
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:28:34 -0500
Cc: Jerry <lensman@erols.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

    Alan> I've been using the MityVac for years on a variety
    Alan> of cars and found it works pretty well. I've noticed
    Alan> you can't get too agressive with it or you may pull
    Alan> more air into the system. I also found on some cars
    Alan> it helps to pull the bleeder screws out and wrap a
    Alan> little plumbers teflon tape around the threads. If
    Alan> you don't, it can be hard to tell when you have
    Alan> pulled all the air out of the system and are just
    Alan> pulling small bubbles back in through the
    Alan> threads. The tool almost has too much vacuum.
    Alan> I wish it came with a larger catch "tank" too.

I second these comments.  I have solved (mostly) the "too much
vacuum" problem and the capacity problem at the same time.  I
took a quart mason jar and brazed a couple of appropriate hose
barbs into a lid.  It makes a _big_ brake fluid reservoir and
a good "capacitor" for the vacuum.  It tends to even out the
surges from pumping up the tool and thus I don't seem to get
the bursts of bubbles I used to get towards the end.

    Alan> I was surprised the MityVac worked so well. It's
    Alan> made out of plastic and doesn't look a "serious
    Alan> tool". I'd suggest you check around locally as I've
    Alan> seen the MityVac on sale. (Post Tool, I think, if
    Alan> you have one nearby. No financial interest, yada
    Alan> yada).

    Alan> I haven't used EZ Bleed.

I have.  Be careful with the MC seal, as DOT4 _will_ spray
all over your engine compartment gleefully peeling paint as it
goes.  Use very little pressure (< 5 lbs).
                                                        -MM