Re: Undercoating Removal Safety ...

To: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: Undercoating Removal Safety ...
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:37:19 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Justin,
You are correct, in that the chemical stripper is hazardous, but at least
its not highly  inflammable.  You don't want to get it on your skin or in
your eyes certainly because it will cause a nasty chemical burn.   I used
disposable inert polyethylene gloves doubled up, and would strip off the
outer set if alot got on them.  As with any hazardous work I wear glasses
with shatterproof plastic lenses and NOT contact lenses under ANY
circumstances. As far as carcinogenicity is concerned, do not use cheap
benzene-based solvents (benzene is known to cause liver cancer in humans,
and benzene is also present at appreciably concentrations in gasoline, I'm
not sure if benzene is in  diesel oil, but I would not be surprised).
Instead, go for slightly more expensive solvents that are toluene-based
(the substituted aromatic ring of toluene is not linked to cancer
causation), or better yet a water-based gel (which is what I used).
A well-ventilated work space is also important in reducing exposure.   The
paint remover method will of course bring you through paint and primer,
right down to bare metal very quickly, which in some cases is desireable
(for welding, or completely new paint jobs).  If you wish to preserve the
original paint you probably want to go with the PPG acrylic method.
-Kevin