Friend or Foe?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Friend or Foe?
From: "Mike Brinker" <Mike.Brinker@mfasco.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:40:18 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello all,
I am near total completion of my Restoration project (74 TR6).  I had a TR6
with standard transmission and went out and purchased a J-type overdrive
unit.  I brought my existing Trans and the recently purchased J-type with
all necessary conversion parts (shorter rear out shaft) etc.. needed for the
conversion.  I took all of this stuff to a company I have been doing
business with for years.  They are very reputable and do good work.  I gave
them all of the components and they rebuilt the Trans and overdrive unit.
New seals, springs, synchro's and "O" rings etc..  The work was completed
and I installed the Trans with its new overdrive.  There is a sound that is
very inconsistent.  Every once in a while (while cornering or stopping
quick) there is a noise from just in front of the overdrive like someone
threw in a pebble.  I brought the car to the shop that did the Trans work
and they test drove the car and hear it too. After opening the top of the
Trans, seeing nothing, draining the oil, seeing nothing, inspecting the
magnetic plug, seeing nothing, the shop wants me to take the unit apart.
Here is the catch.  They are going to charge me $180 to remove and refit the
trans.  Since I brought it to them out of the car, they said that is only
fair.  I think It should have been done right the first time.  I have not
put the interior in the car yet.  I told them I would have the seats and
Trans cover off and that is when they came up with the $180 price.  If the
interior was all in, it would be allot more.
Am I getting the short end of the stick?  Is this company a friend or foe?
Mike
www.surf.to/tr6