Re: Friend or Foe?

To: Mike Brinker <Mike.Brinker@mfasco.com>
Subject: Re: Friend or Foe?
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:42:36 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mike Brinker wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am near total completion of my Restoration project (74 TR6).  I had a TR6
> with standard transmission and went out and purchased a J-type overdrive
> unit.  I brought my existing Trans and the recently purchased J-type with
> all necessary conversion parts (shorter rear out shaft) etc.. needed for the
> conversion.  I took all of this stuff to a company I have been doing
> business with for years.  They are very reputable and do good work.  I gave
> them all of the components and they rebuilt the Trans and overdrive unit.
> New seals, springs, synchro's and "O" rings etc..  The work was completed
> and I installed the Trans with its new overdrive.  There is a sound that is
> very inconsistent.  Every once in a while (while cornering or stopping
> quick) there is a noise from just in front of the overdrive like someone
> threw in a pebble.  I brought the car to the shop that did the Trans work
> and they test drove the car and hear it too. After opening the top of the
> Trans, seeing nothing, draining the oil, seeing nothing, inspecting the
> magnetic plug, seeing nothing, the shop wants me to take the unit apart.
> Here is the catch.  They are going to charge me $180 to remove and refit the
> trans.  Since I brought it to them out of the car, they said that is only
> fair.  I think It should have been done right the first time.  I have not
> put the interior in the car yet.  I told them I would have the seats and
> Trans cover off and that is when they came up with the $180 price.  If the
> interior was all in, it would be allot more.
> Am I getting the short end of the stick?  Is this company a friend or foe?
> Mike
> www.surf.to/tr6

Mike, I feel they are neither friend or foe, but a hard headed
businessman. No you should have no exspense in this even if you did take
the tran. in to them, the trans has got to come out because something was
not installed properly, and this was not done by you, but was paid for by
you for the job to be completed in a professionial way. This is one of
the hazards of a shop not doing the complete job (R&R).  Now who is going
to pay you to remove a defective trans. and who is going to pay you to
reinstall this same trans. that you paid as for as they charged you ?
This should all be completed by them as they are the only ones who did
any repairs on the trans., a reputable shop with a good business sense
will take your car pull the trans., fix the problem, reintsall it and say
see you next time. There can only be one change in this, if it was
installed correctly and the shaft was not bent or seals destroyed a abuse
on your end. If your shop wants 180.00+ watch them closely for trying to
throw this back on you. Get a good response from this list and then a few
where you live, and then make your decision and go forward. Watch your
rear-end.