Re: Stealth Bomber

To: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>
Subject: Re: Stealth Bomber
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:30:28 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: David.Allinson@UK.Sun.COM, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Sumner Weisman wrote:

> David,
>
> Since you mentioned Aldershot, it reminds me of one of my favorite poems,
> Gunga Din by Rudyard Kipling.  He wrote, "When you're sent to penny-fights
> and Aldershot it."  Any idea what he meant by that?  I've known his writing
> since I was very young, and have wondered what that meant.

        I picked up on this as Kipling is a fave of mine... If you like
        the poem you should hear it sung... As a fan of British traditional
        music, I happened across an album back in the early 80s entitled
        "THE BARRACK ROOM BALLADS OF RUDYARD KIPLING" I think it was done
        by Peter Bellamy.  The songs were sung as if in a barracks by a
        soldier... Not the over-orchestratedand choral or operatic versions
        that were done in the early part of this century. Other poems put
        to music on this album were "Danny Dever, Tommy, When the Widow
        Give a Party, Loot, The Road to Mandalay, The Widow of Windsor
        and Soldier, Soldier among others... If my turntable ever gets fixed
        You can  bet I'll be listening to it again...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois