Re: On our way

To: Mike Kunzig <mkunzig@stk.com>
Subject: Re: On our way
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Mike Kunzig wrote:

> Well, the frame-off restorationon my friends 72 Spitfire. is well
> underway. The body is off the frame and ready to be sand blasted and
> painted. We will also blast the frame and next week will start running
> the feul line. I think my buddy wants to to it all in stainless. How
> many off the listers have done full restorations? By full I mean from
> the ground up, EVERYTHING. I was looking to get a ballpark figure of how
> much I should look at spending. If you would like to take a look at what
> has been done so far you can look at

RECIPE FOR DIS...hmm...BRITISH CAR RESTORATION

 15,000 unwanted dollars
 same amount in man-hours
 500 square feet of garage space (for spare parts)
 3 quarts blood (pref. yours)
 2 pints tears
 23 gallons liquid penetrant
 endless supply of optimism (available in bottles and cans)

In short:  It will cost more than you think, and be worth less than it is.
Sad but true.  These cars are a labor of love.  So you'd better start
having fun, or get out quick!!

-Malcolm  (usually having fun)