RE: No thermostat?

To: glenn.bowley@gerbercoburn.com
Subject: RE: No thermostat?
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 98 16:01:32 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Glenn Bowley wrote:
    >Wow! 190F seems pretty high, I guess I should buy the adjustable relay
    >for the fan!

No, not high at all.  Stock (TR6) thermostat opens at 180F.  If you have a
electrothermostat that trips at 180, it will turn the fan on as soon as the
thermostat opens, and the car will probably run too cool.

Remember, the coolant is under pressure AND you have probably added something
which increases the boiling point of water.  Our old cars will run very
smoothly and reliably between 200-215F.  Modern cars run at 230F and higher.

Finally, the adjustable relays are a pain-in-the-b***.  They are far less
reliable than pre-set electrothermostats because grounding is very important.

        Shane Ingate' humble opinion in San Diego