Re: Vacuum advance

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:11:26 -0700
Cc: keithmcgahan@hotmail.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-08-14 14:40:04 EDT, keithmcgahan@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > My question is how important is the Vacuum Advance line.  Is it
> >  something that I need to replace right away? I would also like it if
> >  some could give me so clarification to the Vacuums lines
> >  purpose/function.  Thanks again.
> >
> >  Keith McGahan
> >  64'TR4
> >

> It's pretty important, Keith.  Basically - the pupose of the vacuum line is to
> advance or retard the ignition timing in accord with the air pressure at the
> carb intake.  That pressure changes depending on speed and
> acceleration/deceleration.  In effect the line keeps the carbs and the
> ignition in synch.  This insures that the spark jumps the gap in the spark
> plug at the optimum moment in the combustion cycle.  Cheers.
>
> Art Kelly
>
> Art Kelly
        I drove my datsun A14 motor (a little pushrod 4 banger) for some
time without a working vac advance and really didn't notice much difference
when I put in a new one. There were some other problems that kept it from
running great anyway, so your milage may vary. Also some systems use
both centrifical (sp ?) and vac, which would seem to make it less
important. Don't know about stock TRs.
        If you do run without it, make sure you plug the vac line that
comes out of the manifold/carb or you will suck in lots of air and
probably ping horribly.
--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com