Re: Vacuum advance

To: keithmcgahan@hotmail.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:49:23 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-14 14:40:04 EDT, keithmcgahan@hotmail.com writes:

> My question is how important is the Vacuum Advance line.  Is it
>  something that I need to replace right away? I would also like it if
>  some could give me so clarification to the Vacuums lines
>  purpose/function.  Thanks again.
>
>  Keith McGahan
>  64'TR4

It's pretty important, Keith.  Basically - the pupose of the vacuum line is to
advance or retard the ignition timing in accord with the air pressure at the
carb intake.  That pressure changes depending on speed and
acceleration/deceleration.  In effect the line keeps the carbs and the
ignition in synch.  This insures that the spark jumps the gap in the spark
plug at the optimum moment in the combustion cycle.  Cheers.

Art Kelly

Art Kelly